Saturday, December 29, 2012

Resolutions Made, Letters Sent

I kept my postman walking this year, per my New Year's Resolution, sending an abundance of hand addressed and stamped letters over the past 52 weeks. 

And it seems I'm not the only one. In the October Martha, Kiera Coffee talks about her tradition of sending creative "mail art" to her friends and family

It seems, the post office is obligated to deliver anything properly addressed and stamped,  regardless of shape and wrapping. Miss. Coffee has mail dolls with stamps on their skirts, records with letters inscribed across them and even rocks. 

I remember as a child mailing messages rolled inside pop bottles across the country to my cousin (message in a bottle?), and they did in fact reach their destination. But I admire Coffee's gumption and creativity, and I am inspired to start thinking outside.... the envelope. I love the idea of befuddling not only the recipient but also the postman and everyone mai meets along the way.

So heads up readers—questionable mail may be finding  you soon. 

No comments :

Post a Comment