Wednesday, December 11, 2013

Skating Across NYC

I was off to NYC last week with the main objective of  achieving a bucket list item.... Skate at Rockefeller Center

The Rockefeller Rink is featured prominently on the Today Show throughout the winter, so it's only natural that someone with an interest in figure skating would seek it out. Besides, skating there, the day after the massive, tree lighting ceremony, seemed like a good way to kick off this holiday season. 
And since I was there, I thought I'd also skate at Wollman Rink in Central Park (now called Trump Rink) and also at Bryant Park.

What's the obsession with skating in NYC? Perhaps it's scenes like this from the movie Serendipity. (I also tried to get into the café Serendipity to try the frozen hot chocolate, but there was always a 2-3 hour wait).
Rental skates made the day difficult, and I'm still sporting a pretty awesome bruise, but overall, it was a most excellent day in the city, surrounded by beautiful lights and the Christmas spirit. 

For those of you in New York with the urge to do your own skating tour.... I've got two more to add yo your lists. Saturday, after Thursday's skating adventure, I found rinks below the Highline and Brookfield Place near the 9/11 Memorial. 

No comments :

Post a Comment