Wednesday, June 6, 2012

A Tale of One Veggie

I'm mid-read of Barbara Kinsolver's Animal, Vegetable, Miracle. Her message isn't just a focus on healthy eating through vegetables, it is a reminder to eat in season.

For example, if you're in Michigan in March, eating a plum, that plum has most likely traveled thousands of miles to reach you, which explains why it resembles a tasteless rock.

So in effort to fill myself with seasonal vegetables, (in the weeks before my garden is fully functional), I've had an asparagus heavy week.

Sunday: Roasted Asparagus
I mastered this recipe last year and it's now my go-to way to prepare asparagus.

Monday: Asparagus Soup from Twisted Rooster— a semi-local chain that features locally grown products that change with the seasons. The food here is quite good, but the atmosphere is very much a chain.

Tuesday: Fresh Chilled Asparagus Salad
SO light and fresh. I replaced the cilantro with [garden-fresh] basil and had a super lo-cal dinner!

Wednesday: Penne with Roasted Asparagus
I was able to use Sunday's leftover roasted asparagus and completely reinvent it. I hated the smell of simmering vinegar but wow did it taste shockingly good!!

I'm out of asparagus now, so it's off to the Farmer's Market Saturday to see what else is in season!

No comments :

Post a Comment