Tuesday, May 10, 2011



Last night I was out with a couple of girlfriends, both of which are in grad school, and they were dropping words like "paper due" and "final thesis". All I could think was "Wow. I have zero desire to go back to school."

But this morning I stumbled upon this senior thesis project (below) from illustrator Jim Tierney's portfolio, and I remembered what it was like to be your own client.
Don't get me wrong, I love all my clients. But the days before disclaimers and copyrights, sponsor and partnership logos, were beautiful, uncluttered days.

This afternoon I dug out some of my college project boards, reminiscing over what worked and what simply didn't. Above, is a project I was particularly found of: I built a fictitious, reader supplied literary magazine, titled Rough. And below, is evidence that my Pacman fascination is deep-rooted. This was a spread for an article on video games and the American youth.
Anyhow, I've come to the end of memory lane. It's back to a road filled with deadlines and small print.


2 comments :

  1. Yes, yes, yes, yes, yes! I saw those book jackets on some website and wanted them all. Not to read. Just to display.

    ReplyDelete
  2. See— more proof! The difference of good cover design!
    (which I've mentioned before.. once or twice: http://fivefeettalldesign.blogspot.com/2010/06/designing-multi-million-dollar.html
    http://fivefeettalldesign.blogspot.com/2011/03/still-judging-books-by-their-covers.html )

    I particularly love how Tierney's covers are "interactive" and cut in unexpected ways.

    ReplyDelete