Monday, June 14, 2010


Between Fun and Functional, I'll Take Fun

I'm a big believer in accessories as conversation starters—which is why when I stumbled across these "Fashion Sun Glasses" at Century Antiques* a day before I was to walk in a wedding, I knew they were conversation gold.

It was less than two weeks later that
"Sunglasses Inspired by Vintage Vision" ran in the Grand Rapids Press. Apparently Char Jewell, who resurrected these glasses from storage in Lansing, used them as her ticket to the Ellen Degeneres Show. That's one golden ticket.

Understandably. Because sunglasses with built in earrings? That's not crazy, Ellen, that's practical.

While they are now manufacturing new prints and styles, I'm pleased to say mine are pure vintage, even if their actual glare prevention/UV is basically worthless. One of the "earrings" even has the original Je-Dol Lansing, Michigan sticker on it (score).


I got my pair for $10 at Century (megascore). You can pre-order a new pair for $15 by emailing
charjewell@comcast.net. Or you can pay $125 for them on this site!

Regardless of cost, we had a lot of fun at the wedding.



*Century Antiques is one of my favorite local antique stores in Grand Rapids, on Century, right by Founders Brewery. Surely they will be mentioned again.

No comments :

Post a Comment