Sunday, February 8, 2015

Carbs, Carbs, Carbs

It's winter. It's cold. I'm hibernating. I love food. 

I kept myself plenty full this cold, February weekend. And when I have successful kitchen exploits I like to share them. 


Vegetarian Baked Beans
When I was in San Diego I had some killer vegan baked beans at Tiger Tiger(!). So good in fact, that I got up close to examine that they really didn't have bacon in them. And I wanted to try and recreate some of that awesomeness. 

This was my first time using dried beans. Which meant this was really an all night/all day process—8 hours soaking and 8 hours in the crock-pot. I was pretty skeptical that this was going to work, because I started with white beans, but they definitely ended up  red, and packed with flavor. 

I'm not going to lie, they are pretty fan-friggin'tastic. And ultimately, aside from the plan ahead/timeline factor, incredibly easy.


Butternut Squash and Chickpea Curry
Another very simple recipe, that was full of hearty flavor. This went together pretty quick, aside from the cutting of the butternut squash, which I kind of mangled. I'd recommend having the squash cut up before you start cooking. 

I'm a big fan of both curry and butternut squash, and I think the flavors really here complimented each other. I added an apple to mine which gave it a hint of sweetness. Peas would also be good in here. This was even really good as leftovers, because the squash became even softer and more curry infused. It's rare that I think something makes decent leftovers, and that can be important when cooking for one.
(click image above to see enlarged recipe from Better Homes and Gardens)



Grown-Up Tator-Tots.
I was kind of annoyed with how long these were taking when I was making them. But wow, hello tasty. I continued to eat these until I felt I was going to burst in a similar fashion. And then I dreamt of garlic. 

It was a weekend full of good food, with overall very little effort—which, let's be honest, just makes it all the more tastier. Time to roll myself up the stairs. 

No comments :

Post a Comment