Monday, December 1, 2014

On the American Road

Stumbled across this amazing library yesterday....  RoadsideArch.com ... buildings, signs, and statues from all over the country. 
Kampvilla RV Park in Bear Lake, MI
Mainly focusing on architecture from the 1950s to 1970s, the content is sorted by genre. I, of course, gravitated to the Burgers and Hot Dogs section... that is until i found the mini golf section... 
Happy Golf in Elwood, Indiana.
Mini golf is something my family always had an unnatural obsession with, and the kitcshier the better. So basically, this website is a gold mine. And I automatically give them mad props for knowing about Rosie's Dinerland 
Santa's Land, in Putney VT. Opened in 1957, closed in 2011. 

I live just blocks from this one! Fat Boy in Grand Rapids!

Pinkie, from Marquette, IA: Built in 1963 for the Pink Elephant Supper Club

This website basically outlines my new bucket list. I feel like my life now has new purpose and once the snow melts, a road trips shall ensue. It's devastating to see how many of these historical gems have already been removed. I hope American roads can hang on to their personality as long as possible. 

1 comment :