Saturday, December 6, 2014

A Felt Family

This afternoon I saw the most intricate and adorable (and in some cases creepy) felted creatures at the UICA Holiday Art Market. 

"Needle Felted Fancies" by Aron Lowe are completely handmade creations by a Saugatauk artist. They are full of whimsy and vary in size from quite tiny (1 inch) to quite large (12 inches). 

Needle felting is something I get, but I don't fully understand. I have no idea the amount of materials or time that goes into each character. But I have a feeling it's a lot. The intricacies and the detailing baffles me. 

Lowe's work here is some of the more complex felting that I've seen. Each face has such individual charm and character, I feel like her selling them must be like parting with a beloved family member. Check out the family of characters on her Etsy page. 
The Market continues through Sunday at the Steelcase Town Hall, so stop on by and check it out. Aside from Lower, there's many other very impressive and unique artists. Great opportunity for some Holiday shopping!

No comments :

Post a Comment