I've been running around GR talking about this random, yet very important, list I saw online last year: "These 15 Grand Rapids Restaurants Will Blow Your Taste Buds Out Of Your Mouth".
When I first saw the list, there was only two on there I hadn't been to—Westsider and Taqueria San José—and knowing how good the rest of the selections were, I knew it was important I get to these. And both were winners.
My overall thoughts? Knowing each restaurant fits in a certain category, there is only one I disagree with completely*, and very few that I might offer better alternatives (parenthesis).
1. Electric Cheetah – Breakfast/Lunch American Trend
2. Marie Catrib's –Breakfast/Lunch-Organic/Health
3. San Chez – Tapas
4. Stella's – Whiskey and Burger Bar, Vegetarian Friendly
5. Westsider – Diner
6. Winchester – American/Gastro
7. Bistro Bella Vita – Italian – (Amore)
8. Harmony Brewing Company – Brewery – (Founder's)
9. Taqueria San José – Authentic Mexican – (La Huasteca)
10. Real Food Café – Breakfast
11. Hopcat – Brewery/American – (Grand Rapids Brewery)
12. Nantucket Baking Co. – Bakery
13. Wolfgang's – Breakfast
14. Green Well Gastro Pub – American/Gastro
15. Bartertown Diner – Vegan
A lot of these are obvious choices, but that doesn't mean they aren't
legitimately good. I do think there's a lot of breakfast places on here,
which is a meal we eat out the least, so that might be one change I'd
I often get asked what my favorite restaurant is, and I think without a category that's a very difficult question. But I've given it a considerable amount of thought and I've come up with three personal favorites (dinner):**
1. Graydon's Crossing
2. Green Well Gastro Pub
I could talk about food forever. So if you find yourself hungry and lost in this city, I'd be so happy to help! It's time to look beyond Applebee's people!
*In case you're wondering – Bistro Bella Vita. I find this restaurant to be highly overrated.
**Though, in the past week I had two really great meals, Derby Station and Palace of India (best Indian in town!) so these lists are in constant evolution!