Wednesday, May 14, 2014

Read on, I'm hungry.

When I first saw this, I thought it was kind of silly. But the more I looked at it, the more I appreciated it and began to realize what a lovely concept this is. 

I love reading, and I love books, and I love the characters within those books. A lot can be learned about a character from the meals they eat.  Designer Dinah Fried has published a book of photography called Fictitious Dishes: An Album of Literature's Most Memorable Meals which recreates meals from 50 novels.   

The project began while Fried was a student, but she quickly became captivated and she now has a collection of images that spans over two centuries of fiction.

The Catcher in the Rye by J.D. Salinger (1951):
Swiss cheese sandwich and malted milk.
The images in-and-of-themselves are captivating, but they also throw me right into the setting of the novel. The settings are mesmerizing. Many of these are just as I pictured them. 

On the Road by Jack Kerouac (1957): Apple pie and ice cream.

Moby-Dick by Herman Melville (1851): Clam chowder.

The Secret Garden by Frances Hodgson Burnett (1911):
Roasted eggs and potatoes with salt.

Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas by Hunter S. Thompson (1971):
Grapefruit and tequila.

Alice's Adventures in Wonderland by Lewis Carroll (1865): tea.

No comments :

Post a Comment