Wednesday, May 18, 2011


Real Fresh Corn

"Well, I like fresh corn. I mean real fresh corn. So I think maybe I'll just take a hot plate out to the garden, make a pot of boiling water, then I won't even pick that corn - I'll bend that stalk till the ear dips into the water, and I'll eat it right there standing up."
–Col. Potter, M*A*S*H, Goodbye, Farewell and Amen

If I'm going to consider cooking a form of creating, than I think I need to also include growing.

Gardening is not something I imagine myself enjoying, in fact, yardwork was in the "con" category when I was considering buying a house. But now there is nothing better than coming home from work and spending an hour in the yard getting dirt under my nails while the sun casts a brilliant glow across the river.
And is there any purer way to eat than taking ten steps outside your door, picking fresh produce and then preparing dinner?
Today I enjoyed the first taste of my 2011 gardening labors. And as I ate my fresh green onions roasted with farmer's market asparagus, and watched the soft raindrops start to fall on the river, I thought, my grandpa might be right — life may, in fact, be good.

No comments :

Post a Comment