Saturday, November 6, 2010


Spending Time with Martha

Martha's Homemade Thanksgiving Issue included a special section on Pets. Martha, along with most other Americans, seems to be truly fond of her pets. I myself have a particularly high-maintenance cat who I simply adore, despite her idiosyncrasies.

For those who love their pets and want to honor them with a 3-D pet portrait, artist Sian Keegan is here to help. Simply send her a photo of your pet, and she'll create a stuffed likeness using found fabrics.

This Martha blurb reminded me of the Your House.... as a Dollhouse which I saw several years ago in a FAO Schwartz catalog. Since I never throw anything away, and I file things meticulously, I was able to find the feature.

For a mere $10,000 you can turn your house into a dollhouse. Now, post reading the description of what this entails, it's actually quite a bargain:

...The design team makes an appointment to come to your home, where they measure and photograph every detail... highly skilled artisans recreate every inch of your home in a 1 inch to 1 foot scale. This includes the wallpaper, paint color, lighting—even the actual fabric of your furniture through real swatches or recreated fabric...

I'd be interested to know, how many of these dollhouses FAO was able to sell. From the googling I did, it doesn't appear to still be an option. I couldn't even find reference of the initial offer. But honestly, I'm rather partial to the home I grew up in, and if I had a spare $10,000 (and there weren't starving people in this world, of course) this would be something I would love to have.

But until I feed the World's starving people, and scrounge up an extra 10G, I'll have to be satisfied knowing that the dollhouse my dad built for me in 1988 is waiting for me safely in my parents' basement, still full of all the furniture we built and painted ourselves.

As for the pet portrait, since Daffy has made it perfectly clear that this is a one-pet household, I guess for now I'll have to abstain.

No comments :

Post a Comment